my first quilt / ma premier patchwork

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I am loving my new sewing machine! So far I've done a lining for a bag (which I can't show you yet because it's a gift) and hemmed a pair of Stéphane's jeans. I'm waiting for some yarn to arrive for my big secret project, so in the meantime I'm playing with my sewing machine some more. I've always wanted a good picnicking blanket, and my blogging friend Clare suggested I make one with old pairs of jeans! Stéphane donated several pairs and my goal is to make this quilt using only materials in the house.

J’adore ma nouvelle machine à coudre ! Déjà j’ai fabriqué une doublure pour un sac à main (qui est un cadeau donc je ne peux pas encore vous montrer) et j’ai fait un ourlet pour une paire de jeans de Stéphane. J’attends l’arrivage de la laine pour commencer mon grand projet secret, donc dans l’intervalle je joue avec ma machine. J’ai toujours eu envie d’une couverture pour faire des pique-niques et ma copine bloggeuse Clare m’a suggéré d’en fabriquer une avec des vieux jeans. Stéphane a donné quelques paires et mon but est de fabriquer ce patchwork en n’utilisant que des matériaux dans la maison.

my first quilt

First I cut out sixty squares using three pairs of jeans and an old pair of cargo pants. Then I took over the baby's play area and laid them out:

En premier, j’ai coupé soixante carrés dans trois paires de jeans et une vieille paire de pantalons kaki. Ensuite, j’ai pris l’endroit où le bébé joue pour les arranger :

my first quilt

I don't really have a place in the house where I can leave the squares out while I work on the quilt, so I took up one row at a time from left to right and then numbered the piles. Then when I work on it, I can move the piles around and I don't have to worry about getting the order mixed up.

Je n’ai pas d’endroit chez moi où je peux les laisser comme ça pendant que je les assemble, donc j’ai pris un rang à la fois de gauche à droite et puis je les ai numérotés. Comme ça, quand je travaille, je peux les déplacer sans souci d’oublier l’ordre.

my first quilt

Now I have to start sewing and I think that's going to take a while! I'll do another update when I have something worth showing...

Et maintenant je dois commencer à coudre et je crois que ça va prendre un peu de temps ! J’écrirai quand j’ai quelque chose d’intéressant à montrer…

1 comments:

Marie Adeline said...

quelle bonne idée pour réutiliser de vieux jeans